Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Mommy Book

My big mommy heart popped up late in life. I'm like a Mommy Pop-up Book, only the pages got stuck for a while. It's kind of like I read the Mommy Book without pictures. There weren't bright bold colors, big flowers, fluffy bears or bouncy squeaky toys...only black & white words with a lot of spaces. I was so frustrated with myself because I didn't feel like I was in the Mommy Book. I'd ask God why? I would pray for pop-ups to spring to life before my eyes. I followed the instructions, and made some mistakes. Little one's as far as the Mommy Book is concerned. Truly I can say "I'm a good Mom." However, perfect mommies will look at me with that fretful frown and shake their pointed polished nails my direction. I remember one of my son's teachers asking me at a school conference, "Did you tell your son things don't have to be perfect?" I answered without shame, "Yes!"


I'm a nonconformist, but I don't like to argue like one. Jake reflects my nonconformity, and though it may seem like a crack to some I see it as an attribute.

No comments: